[AccessD] Smokin deal on SSD

Bill Benson bensonforums at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 14:16:17 CDT 2014

As for what I would do, I would teleport the data into another dimension,
FTL. Then bring it back later: it will be younger than it was, and it might
come back carrying  my missing socks from the dryer. But that's me. You
asked.

Just think it is more intuitive to move data if I need the room, and not
before. Of course my plan has no practical outlet and doesn't even make
logical sense. Otherwise I am writing all the time and STILL have the same
problem, like trying to make all the children above average.

Or if I am going make a lot of writes, I would expect, if the controller
knows the write count of every bit, it would know to find the bits that
have been written to the least and use them next, for official (real)
writes. When it runs out of unused bits, it would grab the next least used
bits. I see no value in the extra writing. It just ensures every bit
suffers. I think what is being missed on my part is what DELETING DATA
does. I ASSUME (ahem... caveats) that deleting means not wiping, but
masking data to make it not readable. So the controller actually CAN write
to all bits in a long stream of bita, not re-using deleted areas until it
runs out of free area. Then I would expect the controller to do this
marshaling thing with every official write. As opposed to pre-emptively.
Because, all things being equal, who is to say how much space I am going to
write to, until I go ahead and do it. I can't envision how pre - emptive
writing moving) blocks customers down the wear and tear, unless it is to
try to be AFTER at the time bona fide writes are being done.

It's the difference between moving money around within the Fed just to move
money around, and doing it because there is real borrowing going on. Most
of the time my hdd is doing absolutely nothing (no writes) but at some
point it might do a lot. Do I want this controller pushing dirt from one
end of the room to another when I haven't asked for a place to lie down,
just to keep the room evenly filthy?

But again, that's me and my inability to visualize this topic. No irony.
There is no getting through to me John.

Though your class module thing did finally sink in, sorta.