[AccessD] Should Business use Access?

Jim Hewson jm.hwsn at gmail.com
Tue May 6 08:45:20 CDT 2014

I thought I would tell you about my experience with Alpha v11 (A11). Alpha
Anywhere (AA) is v12.  First, some background.  I'm an independent
contractor for the federal government, specifically for the Army Research
Laboratory.  My work began with them six years ago - I've been working on
the same project the entire time using Access exclusively. The project I'm
working on is complex... 72 tables, 555 queries, 169 forms, 156 reports and
about 50 UDFs.

I convinced the director of the unit to purchase A11 so we could migrate
the tool I created from Access in the hope we could use the web
capability.  A few months after it was purchased, Alpha Anywhere came out.
With time constraints, deadlines, etc. I didn't get to start using A11 for
a few months.

After AA was released, I thought I could purchase a copy for home and ...
it should be backward compatible. Not so. When I called the company to see
if I could develop at work and develop at home with A11 and AA. I was told
they were not compatible and an upgrade for work was needed... an
additional several hundred dollars. I decided not to purchase a copy for
home use.

The other issue was that the Army IT folks told us Alpha anything was not
authorized on any network.  So... we thought I could put it on what they
call a stand-alone laptop (not to be connected to the network) and do the
development there. But anything that was developed, would need a
"Certificate of Networthiness" (CoN) from the Army to put it on the network
... typically a one year process which takes about one year.

I started going through the tutorials, pretty cool.  Works as designed.  I
started to migrate the tool that I created.  Not so cool.  It converted
tables, some queries and then not much else. This meant that I had to
create the forms and reports from scratch.  Mmmm... that's a lot of work.

Two other things that need to be pointed out.  One, AA creates a separate
file for every table, query, form, report or anything else in a specific
folder on the hard drive.  Unlike Access everything is in one container -
one file.  Two, to migrate AA to another computer - one has to package it
up and then install it, unlike Access you just need to copy a file.

In the grand scheme of things, we opted not to go with A11 or AA. It seemed
to be a lot of work for little benefit for our purposes.  The project I'm
working on morphed into something entirely different that it's original
concept. Originally, we wanted to use the tool on the network at one of the
training facilities.  The CoN expired before it was fully implemented.  Now
the tool is being used in several research studies on stand-alone laptops.

Jim