[AccessD] Ten most common tasks/problems in Access

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Sun Oct 19 06:29:32 CDT 2014

Thanks, Stuart. I'll add these to my list. I haven't ever written a DLL,
and until now was under the obviously mistaken impression that you had to
write them in C++ or C#. I didn't know you could do it in Power Basic.

I have heard of blat but know nothing about it. What does it give you that
other emailers don't? (I.e. why did you choose it against, say, integration
with Outlook?)

Arthur

On Sat, Oct 18, 2014 at 4:31 PM, Stuart McLachlan <stuart at lexacorp.com.pg>
wrote:

> I use my own  DLL in payroll applications for doing  tax calculations.  I
> wrote it in
> PowerBASIC.
>
> I use BLAT.dll for emailing out of Access.
>
> I use a third party zip DLL for file compression/decompression
>
> I use API DLLs in most applications. Kernel32.dll,
> Shell32,Ole32.dll,Comdlg32.dll,Avapi32.dll
> all appear in my standard API  functions module.  This handle such
> functions as
> GetUsername, OpenFile/Folder etc dialogs,  GetSpecialFolder (Desktop,
> Documents,AppData,Temp etc),  ShellWait (shell to another process and wait
> for it to finish
> before continuing).
>

> (I used to use a DLL for PDF work until MS included the capability in
> Access.)
>
> No add-ins.
>
> --
> Stuart
>
> On 18 Oct 2014 at 11:55, Arthur Fuller wrote:
>
> > Thanks, Bill. This is exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for.
> >
> > While I'm at it, I'm curious about two other aspects of Access
> > development. Let me ask, how many of you have created DLLs for your
> > Access apps, or included DLLs created by someone else? Second, how
> > many of you have created Access add-ins? In both cases, what did these
> > objects do to enhance your app?
> >
> > Arthur
> >
> > --

Arthur