[AccessD] Design Considerations - Was: Table Structure Ideas

James Button jamesbutton at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Sep 11 14:55:40 CDT 2014

Definitely nicer if the client will not only listen, but actually considers what
is discussed.

However many of us working on a basis that you are subcontracted to do the work
involved in a contract agreed between your, and their senior management at a set
cost to them.

Others where the system environment is 'as currently is' and no changes are to
be proposed, let alone considered, even though something relatively cheap - such
as going to a better DBMS, or maybe from going from Excel multi-usr access to
workbooks to using Access or MySQL for data storage with SQL to extract data
into a user reporting and manipulation Excel environment.

And then there is the "That's how we have always done it - and we do not want to
change" attitude:
At one 'job' I even got told off for providing an automated facility to do the
reporting  that was taking a senior team member a day each week.
And that was just to show how the office facility could take 'stats data' from a
mainframe, Spreadsheet massage it, then pass the totals etc. through to a
document frame, and then on to be printed at the recipients office printers.

JimB