[AccessD] Scanning documents as attachment

James Button jamesbutton at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Sep 25 11:45:59 CDT 2014

I'd adopt a slightly different approach:
Allocate a structure of folders for the documents:
Grouping the relevant files in a folder with the id of the animal to which the
documents in the folder apply.

A new table of hyperlinks to the files and a FK link to the primary entry for
that animal.

There may well be times when a document applies to multiple animals, and for
them I would put them into an appropriate folder and create multiple link
entries.

Yes - it will need a form that allows the user to setup multiple FK entries on a
file, having selected the file using a directory~file selection panel.

You could also setup a batch type facility to create a list of files in that
structure, and present the user with the name of each file that is not already
in the appropriate table in the system.

Might be nice to have that form present the hyperlink so the user can view the
file from the form, and make the appropriate entry in the form before they close
the file.

It may be appropriate to set permissions on the folder (and subfolders) allowing
creation of files but not modification or deletion.
It may also be appropriate to include a file versioning key on the table so that
a replacement (newer) version of a file can be indicated in the list form that
shows documents associated with the animal
And - maybe on that selection form allow from~to dates to be set for the files
to be extracted, and a further form to show the other FK's of the files that
match the specified Animal  - as in Animal selected gives PK, find doc entries
with that as their FK, and then find all entries with the same hyperlink as
those files selected for the Animal

>From experience - A major problem with documentation hive is people moving
files, renaming them, or opening them for amendment.
Follow that with old app software on some systems so those users can't read
files created using newer versions of the app - so keep a store of the latest
'readers' for files.
Publish a list of 'supported' and acceptable app versions and file types and
have a script to check for inappropriate ones.
Things like xlsm, docx etc. need consideration as they can include scripts that
run as the file is opened by the app.

And for more fun - some documents get 'saved' as a cluster of small components,
so the number of OS recognised 'files' in the  filestore can become large, and
need care to retain the structure when doing maintenance and other management
tasks.

JimB