[AccessD] More hi-jinks

aclawhon at hiwaay.net aclawhon at hiwaay.net
Thu Dec 10 14:38:21 CST 2015

Susan:

Look at these "hi-jinks" this way.  You probably wound up with this
"simple" database problem because somebody on the [paid] full time IT
staff with the State of Kentucky was assigned the task, spent a little
time going around in circles and then gave up reporting back to their
[incompetent] bosses that what they wanted "... couldn't be done" and
that was that.

I was in a similar situation back around 1995.  My boss at that time
(Mr. Montgomery) asked me if I could "take a look" at a problem he
had.  About all the information he gave me was that it involved a
"database" and I would have to use a database software package called
dBASE III-Plus.  That was it.

So I started working on this "little problem" Saturday morning around
7:00 A.M. - while very few people were around and I could think - and
got my initial results around 4:00 A.M. Monday morning.  (Somewhere in
that 38+ hour death march I dozed off and slept for maybe four hours.)

I never will forget this for as long as I live.  Mr. Montgomery came
in around 7:00 o'clock Monday morning (his usual starting time) so I
told him: "Mr. Montgomery, I've got something I want to show you."  I
then demoed the (inelegant but working) "solution" I had cobbled
together.  Mr. Montgomery was a true engineer - he (very rarely)
showed emotion.  However, on this occasion, I saw just the hint of a
smile play across his face.  (That's about as close as he gets to a
compliment.)  So I tell Mr. Montgomery I'm exhausted and I'm going
home to get some sleep.

The next morning (Tuesday morning) when I got to work, Mr. Montgomery
called me into his office and informed me that I was being promoted to
"programmer" effective immediately.  Turns out that Pat Green, one of
the ladies I worked with who just happened to be working that weekend,
told Mr. Montgomery that "Alan had been working on that computer all
weekend."  Mr. Montgomery then went over to the main office building
to see the General Manager, Dr. Pastrick, to plead on my behalf that I
be promoted.  Dr. Pastrick agreed and my pay and compensation
immediately tripled.

There was a funny backlash to my promotion.  Turns out I was the
fourth "programmer" Mr. Montgomery had approached with the problem.
Of the two (previous) programmers who Mr. Montgomery has asked to
solve the problem, one tried (and gave up) after about a week.  The
second programmer wouldn't even try.  Finally, out of desperation, Mr.
Montgomery asked a "Senior Systems Analyst" if he could find a
solution?  The SSA reported back that the problem was "impossible" to
solve.  It was at that point that Mr. Montgomery decided to take a
chance with Alan.  (Of course, Mr. M didn't tell me that the problem
was "impossible" to solve.  Ha! Ha!)

So I taught myself dBASE in 36 hours.  (I had a pretty good idea of
how to solve the problem right from the start - it was mostly a case
of looking up the right dBASE commands to get the job done.)  Once I
was promoted, the two "programmers" and the Senior Systems Analyst
didn't take it too well.  In fact, during a Christmas party in the
main building. one of the programmers pulled Dr. Pastrick off into a
hall office and actually tried to make a case [to Dr. Pastrick] that I
should be fired.  (I just happened to be walking down the hall at the
time and heard this woman talking to Dr. Pastrick from right outside
the door!)  I called Mr. Montgomery that night and told him what I had
overheard.  He told me: "Alan, you just do your job and don't worry
about it."

So how does all this apply to you and Salato?  Susan, you should look
at this as an opportunity to excel!  Solve this problem and you could
wind up getting promoted into a full time state job (with full
benefits) and all that.  Heck, if there are other Salato offices
spread around the state, and your software is really good, you could
wind up with a big promotion as you will be seen as indispensable -
your solution could wind up being used in every single Salato
location.  Susan Harkins of Frankfurt, Kentucky will suddenly be a
programming superstar!  (You'll be Wonder Woman!)

Just think: This is not an unsolvable problem - this is an opportunity
to excel!  Plus you have a crack team of free "consultants" to help
you.  (that would be us ...)  :-))

Been There, Done That Alan of Huntsville