[AccessD] More hi-jinks

Susan Harkins ssharkins at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 16:03:21 CST 2015

Your on the right track I think

 I would add a table for groups, then a table for group members.  I would
have type or species as a table, and FK's in the individual animal table and
the groups table.

======That's what I did and I already had all the others. I added a group
table with a group name and a FK to the species.

 I would also suggest one other thing; you said they already have software -
can you look at it?   How did they solve it?

======No. It's available on the market I mean. It's about $10,000 and you
have to pay the developer to customize it. But, it does everything - it even
has a payment terminal component. The payment terminal our IT provided
was... adequate. It took them over a year to make the changes we requested.
They're supposed to install it while we're closed for the winter. I was the
one that did most of the testing and ... it's better than what we had but I
saw a lot of errors the first few times we ran through it. They are
overworked and horribly understaffed. I won't complain -- we're lucky they
upgraded us at all to tell the truth.

 Might be interesting to see because as you said, how in a herd can you
ensure that every animal has gotten a dose of medicine if it's administered
via feed?   Seems like you simply can't.  If there's no accepted practice
for doing that, then you simply can't do it.

======You're right - you can't. We have an on-site vet and she sends me
daily reports. If an individual is treated, I enter it as such -- if the
herd is treated, I use a species form to update them all -- the code updates
all of the individuals in that specified species.

Food is all over the place. Some are very specific, tracking type, size,
amount in, out, whether its training, enrichment... others... they fill the
hopper for the herd/flock so there's no way to track individual consumption.
So, it'll be interesting. :)

I'm so glad I have all of you to talk these things through.

Susan H.