[AccessD] Goodbye Leszynski/Reddick?

Gustav Brock gustav at cactus.dk
Wed Jan 21 06:44:41 CST 2015

Hi all

I had to write a new VBA project from scratch, and given how you conventionally program in C# and that Microsoft never has applied the Leszynski/Reddick naming convention (just study the parameter names of the built-in functions), I thought it might be time for a change, if for nothing else to type less.

So I did, and I felt well. Now Key can be the name (string) of a key, Keys an array of keys, and Value the value of a key, and DataCollection is a collection of data.

Much to my surprise, having used Leszynski/Reddick "always" it didn't cause any problems to me - in fact I find the code just a little bit easier to read.
That may be me, and we all have our preferences, but have a look and judge for yourself:

    https://github.com/CactusData/VBA.CVRAPI

Now, this is code only - no tables, no queries - and that may be where trouble is; it is very convenient from the name alone to know whether you deal with a table or a query, even though a table and a query cannot share the same name.
I've seen, that in T-SQL you often prefix views with a V, so Customer is a table and VCustomer is some query/view of table Customer. So a simple prefix of Q for query names could be used. I haven't sorted that out yet.

/gustav