[AccessD] Goodbye Leszynski/Reddick?

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 07:28:01 CST 2015

Gustav,

Although I've used Leszynski/Reddick conventions in the past, several years
ago I abandoned them, in favour of what I call Hungarian suffix notation.
It's basically the same, but rather than prefixes I use suffixes. My
justification for this is simple: signal to noise ratio. It is inefficient
to me to have to ignore the first three letters of any given object name.
Further, objects don't sort intelligently when prefixes are used.

I've even gone a little beyond that, in my use of suffixes. Specifically,
queries/views:

Queries use these suffixes:
SalesReports_qs         'query Select
CustomersTotals_qu    'query Update
Invoices_qa                 'query append
TempTable_qd             'query delete

Views use similar suffixes, substituting "v" for "q".

Forms use suffixes such as "_frm" (normal form), "_sfm" (subform), "_dlg"
(dialog), and "_ds" (datasheet).

When working with a SQL back end, I do the something similar. My typical
suffix is "_ap" (application procedure), and within the name itself I
always begin with the principal table(s), especially in the case of sprocs
that update the data. It's strictly a matter of choice, but my preference
is "object-action" rather than "action-object": I won't use "UpdateOrder"
for example, but rather "OrderUpdate". Again, objects sort more naturally
this way.

Ultimately, I suppose that whichever scheme you employ, consistency is the
watchword. When working on a project that will be maintained by someone
else when I'm gone, I include a module called "_Conventions" that consists
of nothing but comments, and describes the conventions outlined above.
------
Thanks for the code, Gustav. I've copied it into my OneNote notebook of VBA
code, with full credit to you of course.

/Arthur