[AccessD] Can I do this?

Jim Dettman jimdettman at verizon.net
Tue Jun 2 16:37:50 CDT 2015

 Not sure I'm following the question...

 But first comment, if this is a multi-user situation, then using Dmax() is
unreliable.

 I would have a procedure to generate the sequential number based on a value
stored in a table.

 No need for all the unbound fields, as you can simply do:

 =GenerateKey("tblFiles") & "-" & Month(Date()) & "-" Day(Date())

 You now have your key.  With that, you can simply save it into the main
table with either a SQL Insert or use a record set addnew.

 I have code for the GenerateKey() routine if you want it.

Jim.