[AccessD] Delimiter Value (was: Automatic Update Function)

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 10:47:29 CST 2015

This is an interesting thread but I do have one question, which derives
from personal experience writing a code generator that had to find markers
in templates and substitute either literal or iterated text in place of
said markers.

I opted for two-character delimiters ; they could have been pretty much any
given character expressed twice. As it happens, I opted for "\\marker\\",
which admittedly could have created problems when attempting to express
UNCs etc., but I escaped these in the standard way.

As previously pointed out, the use of the cent-sign may not be universal,
and that is a problem.

But my larger question is this: why are you restricting delimiters to
single-character markers? That seems to me to be the path to trouble no
matter which native (human or typographical) language you are using.
Ultimately, this problem resolves to the likelihood of any given marker
being used within the text of interest; and so we have to go for the
unlikeliest combinations, the smallest unit being one character, but I am
arguing in favor of two-character delimiters, while also providing for the
standard escape-clause syntax of repeating the delimiter twice if you mean
it not as a delimiter but part of the text.

I've just Googled "the number of official languages in the world", and
India and China come out way on top, with a few hundred in each nation.
Just to make this much more painfully clear, "language" is distinguished
from "dialect", which is to say that even though I have lived almost my
life in English-speaking Canada, I can also recognize Cicero-English from
New Orleans English from Oxford English, and also readily discern Quebec
francais from Parisian and even Marseilles. I'm shakier on Dutch, but I can
discern Mandarin from Cantonese in fewer than 5 seconds, and also
Shanghaiese from both of these. You might conjecture that I have an ear for
language; perhaps that is true. After all, I can convincingly pronounce two
of the  trickiest words in Dutch, but that's because I've visited
Nederlands about six times, and picked up a little more on each visit. The
two most difficult words in Dutch are the word for vacuum cleaner (stofzuiger)
and the name of a town on the coast whose name was used in WWII to
distinguish Nazi spys from legitimate Dutch citizens (Schlevningen). It
required more practice for me to get these two words than to apprehend and
duplicate the tones in Cantonese; but I got there, eventually.

Sorry for the extensive sidetrack. I just wanted to emphasize that
single-character delimiters are bound to cause trouble in a large number of
languages in the world. Facing this ugly fact, the developer has a couple
of choices: narrow the translation-geography to a few well-chosen languages
of immediate interest to the app of interest, or strive for a broader
translation-strategy; in my opinion the only viable path to the latter
approach is to expand the concept of a delimiter beyond single-character
representation, and in addition to provide the standard escape-syntax (e.g.
in py preferred choice, "\\" is the delimiter, except when repeated, in
which case the second occurrence is to be interpreted as literal text).

This syntax and notation, I hope, will sidestep the fact that the "cents"
sign will not be misinterpreted by non-English (and in fact
non-Western-European) keyboards.

Arthur

Arthur