[AccessD] Check connection to SQL Server silently

Gustav Brock gustav at cactus.dk
Sun Mar 15 12:15:47 CDT 2015

Hi all

If you try to access an SQL Server table via ODBC and DAO when the server is offline, before any error is thrown two message boxes pop up from the driver, one large (Microsoft SQL Server Logon) with an extended message, one small (SQL Server Logon) with an option to login (which is of no use at all).

I found this which uses ADO to check the connection without these messages:

    http://bytes.com/topic/access/answers/201502-how-suppress-odbc-connection-dialog

but can it really not be done with DAO and Access 2013? You could with the OpenConnection method for a ODBCDirect workspace but this was removed in A2013.

If I have to use ADO, which version should I reference in A2013? I see 2.0, 2.5, 2.6, 2.7, 2.8, and 6.1.
The application will run with an A2013 runtime.

/gustav