[AccessD] Access Web app question

Susan Harkins ssharkins at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 13:49:08 CDT 2016

Arthur, we're not having the same conversation. :)

I was trying to create a custom web app (Access) and it just wouldn't let me
into my SharePoint Online site. I finally got in by using the
.onmicrosoft.com account address. It's curious because I've used this
feature very little so far and I'm not sure why the sign-in would have
defaulted to my gmail address -- it is not my SharePoint account sign in,
apparently so why it used that address as the default, I have no idea.

When the default didn't work, I tried the onmicrosoft.com account address
but that wouldn't let me in either. The error message didn't offer much help
-- said they were redirecting and would attempt to fix automatically. I
couldn't get in using either address.

I don't think I reset anything while looking around in the Admin settings
(365 portal), but I did verify the onmicrosoft.com address so maybe I just
had a typo or something.

I really don't have an explanation, but I'm in now. I'm noting the right
address and pw, just in case this happens again.

Susan H.

Susan,

The obvious answer is, Of course, but...

I'm assuming that the Access app of interest consists of the traditional FE
and BE components, and that the bulk of the work will be done locally; but
that new requirements demand access to the BE using a web-based app whose
capabilities are far fewer than the desktop's app.

The simplest way to do this, I think, would be to define a group of named
queries in Access, some updateable and others read-only, and to use those
and only those in the web app.

The web part will have to deal with security issues on some level -- perhaps
logins, or maybe roles if the user-base goes beyond a few, and changes
frequently.

With those issues settled, the only remaining questions revolve around the
choice of development tools. I think we are pretty much all agreed that the
efforts by the MS Access team in this respect are somewhat less than
stellar. Here you have several possible directions. The choice among them
might depend upon the skill-set of the developers within the organization of
interest. Regarding said possible toolsets, I've investigated at least some
of them and settled upon one. Ask another developer and her choice may well
be another toolset.

As Mark Twain so famously phrased it, "If it weren't for differences of
opinion, we wouldn't have horse races."

On Sun, Apr 10, 2016 at 12:21 PM, Susan Harkins <ssharkins at gmail.com> wrote:

> Can you integrate a web app with an existing Access database - sending
> only specific fields to the Web app for viewing and possible updating?
>

> Susan H.

Arthur