[AccessD] FW: Blog on Rex Website

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Wed Mar 23 14:19:01 CDT 2016

Well said and right-on.

Jim

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rocky Smolin" <rockysmolin at bchacc.com>
To: "Off Topic" <dba-ot at databaseadvisors.com>, "List" <dba-tech at databaseadvisors.com>, "Access Developers discussion and problem solving" <accessd at databaseadvisors.com>
Sent: Wednesday, March 23, 2016 7:11:36 AM
Subject: [AccessD] FW: Blog on Rex Website

A client who is in the process of creating a commercial product based on the
system I developed for his own business writes:

 We are in the final phase of finishing the REX website and Doris is adamant
that we need to include a blog.  Do you agree?

I responded to him:

A blog has two advantages: 1) it creates a community of users who can post
blog entries to your site, respond to the blog posts and exchange
information, and creates the impression of a more reputable product; 2) the
'bots that crawl through your site and are responsible for placement in the
search engines, 'lke' new content.  So a blog may incease your placement in
a search by continuously adding new content to your site.

There are two disadvantages: 1) allowing users or other to post comments to
your blog opens you up to criticism, fair or unfair whcih you can control
that by deleting undesreable posts - an ethically questionalbe tactic - or
by not allowing comments or other posts to your blog which degrades its
credibility in the minds of readers; 2) you need to solicit posts or create
posts yourself continuously - a blog on which the last post is already
'stale' impairs your credibility - so it's a job which needs to be attended
to all the time.

Any other thoughts on this?

MTIA

Rocky