[AccessD] Migrating date fields to SQL Server

Gustav Brock gustav at cactus.dk
Mon Jun 19 01:19:21 CDT 2017

Hi Charlotte

You must be thinking of the numeric zero value which for VBA equals 1899-12-30 while it for T-SQL is 1900-01-01.

However, you should only in rare cases deal with the numeric value of a date/time. Date and time should always be handled like dates, not strings, not numbers, no exceptions really.

The ODBC drivers know all about this. The current issue you may experience is, that the old ODBC drivers don't convert DateTime2 of T-SQL to DateTime but to Text. So, either use DateTime in your SQL tables or use the newer SQL Native drivers of version 11 or later. And never use Date, Time, or SmallDateTime as data type in your SQL Server fields.

/gustav