[AccessD] Fwd: Backend Database corruption using VPN access

John Bodin jbodin at sbor.com
Mon Jul 30 22:57:30 CDT 2018

Mark, Access is not a Client/Server architecture so you will certainly have issues over a VPN.  Unfortunate.

SQL Server an option for sure, have to re-write certain parts of your app.

Logmein idea would work, I would not set up 6 physical machines, unless they were extras lying around, rather use virtual machines on a host with enough ram to run your Access app.

Another option I have used is to set up a Remote Desktop Server, licensed for x amount of users, and use the VPN to connect each user to a virtual instance of your app.  Then, like LogMeIn, the front-end can live on the virtual desktop or local user's machines, and the back-end can live on the server, all on the same LAN.  And RDS, unlike the free version of LogMeIn in Central, can print reports back to the remote user's printer as well as you can copy or access files on the remote user's PC.  No need to re-write you app with either logmein or RDS server options.

Good luck.

John