[AccessD] Raspbian in a VM

John Colby jwcolby at gmail.com
Sat Feb 16 09:26:34 CST 2019

I bought a handful of these little devices, including one of the
original raspberry pi, which I can't find.

I had high hopes for using one as a streaming media machine, the Pine64
RockPro64, for which I bought the 4 gb version.  It is a very powerful
little device, hex core with 2 or 4 gb LPDDR4 ram.

I wanted it to run Linux, which it does, but also a linux streaming
media package which it does not.  Apparently (I will test this soon) it
will in fact run Android TV.  That is what I will be testing - real soon
now.

I wanted to get something working "right now" so I wimped out and bought
two of the NVidia Shield streaming devices (2017 version) - not the
tablet devices of a confusingly similar name - which are obscenely
powerful, widely acknowledged as the best, most powerful, most stable
media streaming device in existence.  I concur.  They are plug and play,
turn it on, hook it to wifi or a wired internet, then a google account
and off you go.  They automatically update software very often.  Not
sure what NVidia does in the updates but they occur often (every couple
of weeks?).  It will do Kodi, plus Android TV with all that entails.

I got them on Black Friday for $149 each with the gaming controller, a
smoking deal.  I installed one at my Ex's house which they are now using
extensively, including with a 4 tb USB external hard disk with ~400-500
movies on it (Kodi) as well as Netflix and Amazon Prime videos plus just
a ton of other streaming thingies.  I installed the other at my church,
hooked up to the second HDMI channel of an overhead projector, which we
use for streaming YouTube videos for Open Mic Night.  I don't watch TV
so I can't really dive deeply into the "streaming thingies".

I can't say enough good things about the NVidia Shield.  "It Just
Works", a quote they use for their new video cards, which sadly do just
work but are waaaaay overpriced.  At $149 the shield was well worth the
price.

https://www.androidcentral.com/how-setup-kodi-nvidia-shield-android-tv

https://shield.nvidia.com/blog/how-to-setup-plex-media-server