[AccessD] Memo field corruption

Gustav Brock gustav at cactus.dk
Sat Jan 26 11:29:35 CST 2019

Hi Susan

Ah, ten years back!

#3: Don't use memo fields
This is probably too harsh - I haven't met, nor heard of, a single issue since that article.

#4: Don't store picture files
This, however, is still valid, except if pictures are few and small. But the issue is more related to bloating the backend rather than corrupting it.

#6: Be careful with wireless networks (WiFi)
This should be rephrased to: Never connect via wireless networks (WiFi)
I've heard of numerous troubles when connecting via WiFi. It may work well (as stated) with R/O access, but how many backends are attached for R/O only?

#8: Don't put Mac and Windows users on the same network
This is not valid anymore, or should at least be turned into a general note, that devices that can cause a heavy load on the network should be isolated from the traffic between Access frontends and their backends.

Impressive list of comments, by the way.

/gustav