[AccessD] Date Importing from Excel

Gary Kjos garykjos at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 15:04:36 CDT 2020

Hi John,

I used to do these kind of imports often.  My method was to import the
data into text fields into a tblImportedData table.  Then I would use
that table to import into my real table.  Alternatively it worked well
for me to import as text.  Then add another date type column and run
UPDATE queries using the text version of the date info and parsing it
into the correct format and use that re-formatted data to update the
date type column.  That would often take multiple passes, one for each
version of the date.

Depending on the number of records involved and how creative the
various date formats are in the text column I sometimes would take the
easiest way out and simply KEY IN the corrected data if there were
only a small number of outliers.  That is sometimes easier than
working out the parsing etc.

Good luck.

GK