[AccessD] Fwd: FW: table design

David McAfee davidmcafee at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 13:22:02 CDT 2020

James, you think like I do. Lol!

These department heads hate when I come into planning meetings because I
bring up all of these scenarios. I am always informed that the said
scenarios will never happen then usually do right after hahaha.

I'll answer the rest of your questions inline:

You can have multiple phones on an account

Yes we do.  1500 phones on 6 accounts

Have the SIM's moved between phones

I was told this doesn't happen but have found examples of it happening

Have phones passed on between assignees either intended to be permanently,
> for a short period, or just a day loaner.

Not supposed to, but yes. This usually happens by their supervisor when
someone goes on a leave of absence.

Also - Phones assigned to 'posts', and to teams - as in manager says who
> gets
> the phone for weekend on-call

I have found this scenario as well. Some offices have dedicated "on call"
phones that users take home. These are still assigned to the correct cost
center for accounting purposes. I was thinking of creating an employee such
as "On Call Location X" in my employee table to handle this purpose. I was
also thinking of creating an "unassigned" employee to deal with that
situation.

This is one of the things that I've been flip flopping about. I'm not sure
if I should make my inventory bins and employee assignments the same table.

Phone 1 is with Joe, which gets dropped.
It gets assigned to quarantine/repair
Phone 2 gets assigned to Joe.
Phone 1 is now repaired and is assigned to "unassigned"