[AccessD] Bug in Access 365

Jim Dettman jimdettman at verizon.net
Sat Apr 10 06:27:12 CDT 2021

it went directly to the Microsoft Access product team.

As far as what they will do about it and when, they never say.

However given that they have a solid repo case, that it crashes without hiding the main window (Access does not need to used in unusual way), and the crash is consistent, I think it will get fixed, and fixed relativly soon (couple months).   That is just my opinion however.

I know it's discouraging at times, but while it may seem simple to fix a bug, in many cases it's not.   More often then not, they don't have a clear repo case, so they spend a lot of time just nailing it down.

 Then, they might not be responsible for the code that's causing the problem.  It's easy to forget that "Access" is made up of several different things, and of course runs on top of Windows.

Then, when you're dealing with millions of users, the last thing you want to do is break something else, so lots of regression testing.  You also don't want to change the products behavior in a way that might break existing apps.

I know of one bug with list boxes where the number impacted by the bug would have been exceedingly small, but the fix could would have potentially impacted everyone using Access.   Given that, and that their was a workaround for it, they decided not to fix it.

And it's not about who reports it.   A bug is a bug.   But with each, they need to weigh all the various factors, and that decides what gets fixed or not, and how quickly it needs to get fixed.

Honestly, given the scope of the job they have in balancing all the various factors, they (the Access product team) do a pretty darn good job believe it or not.

Jim

Sent from my iPhone