[AccessD] [EXTERNAL] Re: Bug in Access 365

Shane Groff shaneg at microsoft.com
Sat Apr 10 08:27:48 CDT 2021

Hi,

I'm from the Access engineering team, and just wanted to confirm Jim's assessment.

Myself, and some of the other team members do try to monitor some of the public forums for reports of bugs or other significant issues, but obviously we can't follow everything, so we do rely on the feedback channels we have, and MVPs are definitely a great help in identifying and bringing to our attention serious issues.

Once an issue is identified, there are a lot of factors that go into determining how quickly it can be addressed.  As Jim mentions, a few of those things are the impact of the bug, whether it was recently introduced, how easily we can reproduce the issue, and so on.  There's always a lot to do, and we have to prioritize, so sometimes it takes longer than you might like for the particular issue affecting you gets addressed.

Microsoft collects data from users about application crashes, so in this case I can tell you that this particular problem is not impacting very many users, presumably because they don't hit the combination of circumstances required to hit the crash.  However, for the reasons Jim mentioned, we will fix this.

Finally, even once a fix has been made, except in the most urgent cases, it goes through a process of being gradually rolled out to successively larger audiences, starting with the Access team, through the rest of Microsoft, preview builds, until finally it is available to all users, that process can take a couple of months.  The reason for that is that if we introduce a new problem, we want to identify it before it impacts everyone (although obviously sometimes we still don't find things until they do).

 Shane Groff