[AccessD] Access 2021 accde (64 bit) incompatible with Access 2013 64 bit

Jim Dettman jimdettman at verizon.net
Tue Dec 28 03:45:08 CST 2021

 As Charlotte and Stuart noted, going backward is problematic.

 One thing I would check is the references.  Some will automatically update
to the latest version.   You compile and distribute, and now your earlier
users have a problem.   Usually though that will outright break the app.
However, with Access 2013 and up, a lot of things have changed internally
and it's now all the same "version" more or less because a lot more is
shared across versions.   That's why you can't mix bitness between versions
anymore with Office 2013 and up (i.e. you can't have Access 2013 32 bit, and
Access 2016 64 bit on the same machine).   It's also why from Access 2016
and up, you'll always get 16 as the version.

 And of course that's outside of all the features that get turned on and off
now based on your license/version, which easily could effect how the ribbon
behaves.

 As noted, always develop/compile in the lowest version that your users will
be using, and this a rule of thumb that has always been true with Access.

 I would setup a couple of VM's on the development machine and have 32 and
64 bit edition of Access 2013 installed in those.

 Jim.