[AccessD] On resumes and cover letters

John Colby jwcolby at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 16:20:49 CDT 2022

This is what amuses me.  The job board says "If you don't have these
skills, your resume will not be considered".  Look at the skill set
required.

   - 8+ years of experience as a Microsoft SQL Server DBA
   - Experience and expertise with Microsoft SQL database development,
   Microsoft SQL networking and Multi-site replication, Always-on, mirroring,
   log shipping and data partition;
   - Experience in database security and auditing, SAN connected MS SQL;
   - Experience monitoring multiple databases;
   - Advanced knowledge of database performance management and tuning
   - database fault analysis and resolution effective Database
   Backup/Recovery strategy deployment;
   - Experience performing database migrations and in-place upgrades;
   - Experience analyzing current database performance and making
   projections for future growth (CPU usage as well as storage growth);
   - Experience in administrating Windows 2019 or higher Clustered and
   Virtual environment;
   - Experience supporting high-availability production Microsoft SQL;
   experience with Monitoring tools such as NetIQ/Netcool, Service Management
   tool such as ServiceNow, Remedy, backup tool such as CommVault, NetBackup;
   - Experience with windows powershell scripting
   - Cloud experience: 2+ years as a SQL Server DBA; leverage outstanding
   knowledge of RDBMS Cloud solutions, object-oriented programming, database
   networking technology, and database management, tuning, configuration, and
   troubleshooting to optimize management of SQL databases.
   - Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
   - Ability to handle multiple tasks under tight deadlines;
   - Demonstrated industry awareness which is current on relevant
   competitive products or solutions; and
   - Time and project management skills

I have all those skills of course.  And all I want is $2 million per month
for being superman, batman, the lantern, and every other super power all
rolled into one.  They refused to hire me.  Said I wanted too much money!

On Sun, Apr 24, 2022 at 9:43 AM Arthur Fuller <fuller.artful at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Oops. Think I clicked Send accidentally, before completing the thought
> process.
> The app in question is a highly specialized app. There is only one person
> who possesses the skills required, and only one developer who has learned
> enough about this profession to enable me to write the app. I don't have an
> engineering degree, but you need one to even comprehend what the app does.
> Ittook several years for me to learn what I needed to know, to build this
> app. But now I can swim comfortably in an ocean of abbreviations (MTBF,
> TBM, STBF, and many more. At first glance you might mistake me for an
> engineer! I am most definitely NOT an engineer. I can speak their language
> but that is not the same as possessing the skill-set. I know my place. I
> sit at the foot of giants, listen carefully, and write some code. That's
> it.

Colby Consulting