[AccessD] MSAccess HTML text box - my solution

John Colby jwcolby at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 02:15:16 CDT 2022

LOL, I don't expect anything.  I took what I was handed, worked on it
without having your knowledge of HTML and commented on it without having
your knowledge of HTML.  Just trying to figure out which specific subset of
HTML this all comes from was a challenge for me.  Then finding
documentation on the codes for HTML 4 when everyone wants to write about
HTML5 and CSS... etc etc.

If you are annoyed with my descriptions, oh well.  I don't know HTML and
TBH I had hoped to slide out of this life without ever having to go there.

All that said, you are more than welcome to Mansplain it to us.  Or fix up
my code to add in and make work the very many pieces that were beyond my
admittedly simple abilities.  There was just a ton of stuff that I decided
could wait for someone like yourself to deal with it.

That is an open invitation to anyone who knows this stuff to rewrite my
code.  Go to clsHTMLFormat.FormatString and help me make this better.

On Tue, Jul 26, 2022 at 2:57 AM Stuart McLachlan <stuart at lexacorp.com.pg>
wrote:

> On 26 Jul 2022 at 1:39, John Colby wrote:
>
> > I'm about ready to discuss my solution to using the so-called "Rich
> > Text" TextBox.  AFAICT it is not "Rich text" but rather a very limited
> > subset of HTML, only parts which deal with formatting text.
>
> We've already identified that MS changed from it's proprietary RTF
> (RichText Format)
> encoding to HTML. (in Access 2007.)
>
> Both are "Rich Text" although only the former was " RichText" :)
> That space between the words  Rich and Text makes a huge difference :)
>
> Admittedly it's nowhere near as comprehensive as HTML5, but what it does
> is hardly a "very
> limited subset"  of  HTML3.
>
> WHy would you expect a system to "mark up" text in a text box to include
> all the rest of the
> HTML implementation for things like document layout?
>
> --
> Stuart

Colby Consulting