[AccessD] Back from SQL Server

Paul Wolstenholme Paul.W at industrialcontrol.co.nz
Sun Mar 6 22:16:16 CST 2022

Bob,

As a starting point (instructions valid for Access 2010 at least):
1) Within a copy of the Access front end,...
2) In the Navigation pane select the linked table or tables you want to
convert to Access format.
3) Right click and select 'Convert to Local table'
4) If you are lucky this might work completely and it might import
relationships, but I wasn't so lucky.  In that case you might have to
import smaller groups of tables and add relationships manually.
5) You should have all the data converted but do check the field types and
the number of imported records.
6) Certain table features might not get converted properly.  You will
probably need to specify the primary key and set autonumber fields.
7) You probably want to take your updated Access front end and split it
into a front-end + back-end data system with an Access back-end.  You could
even revert to your old frond-end and relink it to your new Access back-end
if that made things cleaner.
8) Check other SQL Server features and decide whether what you need was
converted or needs manual conversion.  That includes indexes, keys,
constraints, views and any relevant programmability features.

Good luck.

Paul Wolstenholme