[AccessD] A sad tale of wifi hotspot interference

John Colby jwcolby at gmail.com
Sun Oct 2 11:28:53 CDT 2022

Well it will depend on what has to be done when the event runs.  I'm sure
often it just pings a server, asks 'what is the current version' kind of
thing.  If the version matched then nothing more happens.  But what happens
if there is a new version and it is 500 mbytes?  You can imagine that the
answers aren't simple.  In the first instance, you may not even notice.
But in the second instance it could cause some delay.  Worse though is that
there may be dozens happening.

And obviously, it may work to just disable the thing but what if there is
no other task for that app?  Then there is no update ever.  A better
strategy might be to schedule it for at least once a week (or day) ect.  At
least then an update would occur occasionally.  I personally looked at each
app and decided how often I used it, and often changed the task to a
different (longer) interval.

On Sun, Oct 2, 2022 at 12:16 PM Susan Harkins <ssharkins at gmail.com> wrote:

> I hadn't really considered any of this, so I did check and disabled all of
> the "log on" updates. Thanks John. I don't know that it'll improve
> performance enough that I'll notice, but I thought I'd try.
>
> Susan H.
>

> John,
> Just to say I agree with Susan. You have identified an issue that affects
> you personally; that you as a technical person was unaware of; and that
> your
> investigation is identifying remedial action(s). I think an article
> shedding
> some light on the issue and corrective measures  could/would be a benefit
> many. It certainly would raise awareness.
> Jack

Colby Consulting