[AccessD] Book or writing template

Susan Harkins ssharkins at gmail.com
Sun Oct 2 21:49:30 CDT 2022

The Normal template loads of styles. Using the built-in styles makes things
make each easier because those styles work in tandem with so many other
features.

Susan H.

Thanks for the input.  I actually looked at word's Styles, and they had a
ton of them, none specifically for writing a book or document at least on my
computer.  Lots for flyers, calendars, letters, business cards and who knows
what precisely.  Which if I ever want to create a flyer...  I even went out
to look at the ones online.

I hear your 'you do NOT' but... I already have 60 pages or so where (long
ago) I actually did that.  Do I have to start from scratch?  If I cut and
paste does the already selected font/size remain?  I just went into the
'load styles from templates', and I have no templates (at least by name)
even remotely useful for writing a book.  I actually found a couple online
specifically for 'writing a book' but there was no accompanying instructions
for how to use.

And this is where I end up.  Round and round trying to understand this
stuff, find a good template, nothing to say 'do this' etc.  So far, just
today, I have spent two hours and... nothing useful.  Two hours I could use
writing.

On Sun, Oct 2, 2022 at 6:10 PM Stuart McLachlan <stuart at lexacorp.com.pg>
wrote:

> On 2 Oct 2022 at 17:08, John Colby wrote:
>
> >  I have googled and I just don't understand the whole template thing.
> > I downloaded and opened several and though they do in fact seem to
> > include 'all you need' what they don't do is teach 'these are the
> > tasks, and this is how you use them in this template'.
> >

> I've done quite a bit of user manual writing with MS Word. LibreOffice
> should be much the same.
>
> Essentially templates define themes and styles such as fonts, line etc
> spacing, text colour, ... for different situations.
>
> In Word, you then use these styles by selecting from the "Styles"  menu.
> (Take a look at all
> of the current styles there in a default document.)
>
> Open a blank document and
> select the style "Title" and type a line of text go down a line and
> select "Heading 1" and type some more.
> repeat with "Heading 2"
> repeat with "Normal"
>
> Then go to the Design menu and try picking different Themes and see
> how the layout changes
>
> Then go back up to just after the Title , select the "References"
> menu, select Table of Contents and insert one (The little down arrow
> there lets you choose a layout)..
>
> Under the "References" menu, you can also  insert footnotes (which
> appear at the bottom of the page) or endnotes (which appear at the end
> of your document) at any point in your text..
> You can format these notes by clicking on the tiny box in the bottom
> left corner of the Footnotes menu item.
>
> YOU can also select a word, go to References and "Mark Entry". Repeat
> a few times and then "References - Create Index".
>

> > I am thinking about such things as 'use this font for the main text,
> > use this for code, use this for notes'.  How to automatically format
> > a section of already written text to be one of those things.
>
> Just highlight the section and click on the style you want - it will
> change to the selected style.
>
> The basic idea is you do NOT apply things like font name/size/colour
> etc to blocks of text.
> All of your formatting is done using your pre-defined styles.
>
> .

Colby Consulting