[AccessD] Is it over for desktop apps?

Rocky Smolin rockysmolin2 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 11 21:56:34 CDT 2022

So the FEs all live on the local client box.

All of my apps like this have a 'link checker' which runs when you open the
app.  If it doesn't find the link it opens the 'open file dialog box' which
prompts the user to navigate to the BE file.  Then the tables are
relinked.  I usually also put a button on the main menu to 'open a
different database', in case they want to change BEs to do a 'what if' for
example.

I can send you this code if you like.

When I update the FE I send it to them, they copy it into their FE folder,
ru it and since it doesn't 'see' the BE (the tables are pointing to the BE
on my box, of course), the 'open file' dialog box is triggered allowing
them to point to the live BE on their server, relink happens, and walla!