[AccessD] Last Business Day of the Month

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Sat Apr 8 15:15:13 CDT 2023

Holy Cow, Gary! That rather complicates things. But I'll think about it.
Another 29 parameters should do it. Speaking of which, I've seen some of
the calls into Windows functions that accept an absurd number of
parameters. Their declarations might be turned into the plot of a
rom-com...

George Clooney and J-Lo are software developers who argue about not only
the number of parms but also their order. They hate each other, but then
while on the way to the world's biggest software expo, their plane crashes,
and they are the only survivors. Turns out there was another survivor, a
man extradited, accused of murder, but then they all learn that the island
is populated by cannibals, and worse, they haven't enjoyed sweet white or
Latina meat for years. So they have to team up to ward off the cannibals.
Here's the twist. They discover that the island is full of cannabis, so
it's only logical to bargain with the cannibals and set up a smuggling
operation, but their plan goes awry when they discover that first Canada
(had to work that in somewhere) and then several of the United States,
legalize! There goes that market! New plan.... umm, any ideas, J-Lo?

On Sat, Apr 8, 2023 at 3:42 PM Gary Kjos <garykjos at gmail.com> wrote:

> The retail companies I worked for used a Fiscal 454 calendar that
> started in February. Fiscal February, April,  May, July, August,
> September, November and January had 4 weeks and March, June, October
> and December had 5 weeks every year Excepting for an occasional year
> that had an extra week in January to realign things.  This was done to
> better compare month to month this year verses previous years. To
> handle reporting we used a "Date Table" that set what fiscal month
> each date belonged to. I believe that their weeks started on MONDAY
> and ended on SUNDAY as well as weekends were much bigger sales days
> than week days.
>
> GK
>
> On Sat, Apr 8, 2023 at 2:21 PM Arthur Fuller <fuller.artful at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > I think I already know the answer to my question, but thought to ask it
> > anyway. Here in North America the last business day of the month is
> > typically defined as the last Friday of the month in question. How
> > universal is that? Even right here at home, there's a place across the
> > street called The Wine Rack, which is open 465 days a year, and 366 every
> > four years. In that context, LBDOM() would be equivalent to LDOM(), since
> > every day is a business day.
> > . I tMy proposed function would require two parameters, a date,
> defaulting
> > to today, and an int describing the offset from LDOM -- here in Canada,
> my
> > Old Age payments arrive on the third last business day of the month, so
> I'd
> > pass 3 as the second parameter.
> >
> > I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out the best method of allowing the
> > user of said function to specify the local rules. It could be a
> constant; I
> > hesitate ever to monkey with the registry. I certainly don't want to have
> > to pass this as another parameter. But as I stated above, even the wine
> > store across the street has different rules than most of us. Any
> > suggestions?
> >
> > --
> > Arthur
> > --