[AccessD] OT - Software to Limit user Access on Computer

Rocky Smolin rockysmolin2 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 10:14:50 CST 2023

I don't know if this is possible for your software, but when I developed a
manufacturing system as a commercial product, it was definitely a 'try
before you buy' product. So, I limited the capacity of one of the tables -
in this case the part master - to 100 records - enough to try all of the
features, not enough to be useful in a production environment.

Also, this 'demo' - a full working copy of the system with the one
restriction on the part master table - had a key with an expiration date
encoded into the product key. So it would crap out at whatever time frame I
decided to give the prospect. Later, I created a version of the system with
a 500 part limit for small companies that were just getting into using a
manufacturing system, with the carrot that they could upgrade to the full
system when they outgrew the 500 part limit.

The expiration date in the product key also worked for the full system. The
user had to contact me for an update to their key, so I was in touch with
them at least annually, and also discouraged pirating as the pirated system
would stop within a year or less.

Any possibilities for you there?