[dba-SQLServer]SQL Mail

Chris McIsaac cjm at haleyaldrich.com
Fri Apr 25 14:01:07 CDT 2003

For a number of years, I've been running jobs that use xp_sendmail to send email hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly.  I've been very happy with it.  There are a couple of things to keep in mind, though.

No matter how big a warning you put in the email about not replying to the server, you are going to have users do it any way.  I set a rule on the sql server's email account to forward to me all mail received by the account.  Otherwise, the replies just sit there.

Also, if the email server goes down, sql mail will not re-establish a connection to the server.  You will need to restart sql mail in order for it start up again.  I've seen this with Novell and MS Exchange.  Easy to do but still a PITA.