[dba-SQLServer]Cross Posted - Upsizing fails

John W. Colby jcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Mon Feb 24 21:54:18 CST 2003

Folks, I am trying to run the upsizing wizard on my client billing database,
and it is failing miserably.  Basically it thinks it is happening, and it
thinks that some parts succeed (some tables) but nothing gets into the SQl
Server database.

I think that what might be happening is that I had a SQL Server system set
up on my server.  I ended up completely re-installing windows in order to
get Win2K Server edition installed (won't install over Win2K Pro).  Thus my
old SQL Server is now gone.  However I keep seeing references to that server
name (the machine itself was named something different, so I can tell).  I
am guessing that it is trying to talk to that old SQL Server and it no
longer exists.

Is there any way to get rid of all traces of, all references to, a sequel
server that no longer exists?  Then set up Access to know about the SQL
Server that does exist.  Then run the upsize.

BTW, back when I had the other SQL Server running, I had done this
procedure.  I discovered things like bad dates that SQL Server couldn't
handle (I used to use 1/1/1000 as an initialized date flag, which SQl Server
couldn't handle).  I also discovered the problem of random autonumbers used
for data synchronization in my old db wreaking havoc in SQL Server.  I found
and fixed all of these things and upsized this db in the past so I know it
should work, and it should do so easily.

I would like to use my billing application as a test bed for learning .net
so I really need to get the upsizing happening.

As an aside, I tried going at it from inside of SQL Server and managed to
pull in about 1/2 of the tables.  No rhyme nor reason that I can see why
some tables came right in and others didn't.

Anyway, if anyone can talk me through troubleshooting this thing and getting
Access 2K upsizing working I would appreciate it.

Thanks,