[dba-SQLServer]Large recordsets

Arthur Fuller artful at rogers.com
Wed Nov 26 15:18:08 CST 2003

Show me a human that can comprehend 50K rows at once, and I'll show you
either a liar or a savant.

If I were you I would flatly refuse this requirement. It's idiotic. Of
course in a reporting environment that's a different story, but in SQL
any form that returns 50K rows is IMO asinine.

My opinions about the requirements aside, do you mean precisely that you
are linked (i.e. ODBC) or are you using an ADP project? If the latter,
you might still be able to work in a paging scheme so the hit is
minimal. There are lots of examples of this sort of code around.
Basically you load a pageful and wait for the user to request another.

I've got a form-template that I call frmAlphabet, with 27 option buttons
on the header, all the letters plus "ALL". The AfterUpdate redefines the
RecordSource. In Access it writes a SELECT statement; in ADP it passes a
letter to a sproc containing a LIKE predicate. If you want it give me a
PM.