[dba-SQLServer] Connection problems

Steven W. Erbach serbach at new.rr.com
Mon Aug 9 20:35:00 CDT 2004

Dear Group,

I have a client whose database is out on a shared host SQL Server. I can get at the data through an ODBC connection with Access 97, or through an Access 2000/XP ADP. My problem comes when I try to use Enterprise Manager. When I enter the user name and password I get this message:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A connection could not be established to 64.158...

Reason: Cannot open user default database. Login failed.

Please verify SQL Server is running and check your SQL Server registration properties.

Recently the default database for my client's application was, indeed, changed on this particular SQL Server...but there doesn't seem to be a way to change the default database in Enterprise Manager.

What am I missing?

Sincerely,

Steve Erbach
Scientific Marketing