[dba-SQLServer] Using task manager to close SQL Server

John W. Colby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Wed Aug 18 17:22:28 CDT 2004

Francisco,

This was until recently my desktop machine for Access dev.  No need for more
memory really.  I "retired" it when I got my laptop which is a P64 with 512m
ram (desktop replacement laptop).  I will now be pulling it back into
service as a (temporary) SQL Server machine.  The db will hold a 60+ million
record flat file of name/address/ demographics with 14+ million more to come
immediately, and possibly merging in a couple of other dbs that are
currently hosted elsewhere.

My intention is to build a server since I am "bootstrapping" this operation
(little cash).  The current machine is an AMD 2.5g Barton with 512 mb ram
running Windows2K Pro and SQL Server 2K.  Awhile back I bought a RAID card
and a couple of 120gb hard disks for the main c: drive (Raid1) which is
where the current db resides.  I purchased a couple of 200gb Maxtors with 8m
cache which I intended to mirror, then throw the db out there.  We'll just
have to wait and see how big this mutha gets.  I can see however that an
immediate memory upgrade would be good if I intend to use this thing for
long.

Long term I'm looking at building a dual Opteron.  I have been looking at
how to get lots of memory and processing power though reading the web page
you provided brings to doubt my ability to use said memory.  8-(