[dba-SQLServer] External hard disk

Francisco Tapia fhtapia at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 10:21:56 CDT 2004

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 22:49:21 -0400, John W. Colby
<jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com> wrote:
> I purchased a "mobile disk" external hard disk enclosure from CompUSA to put
> one of the 200gb hard disks in so I could take the db with me and work off
> my laptop.  I found a diag program out there somewhere that tested the
> transfer speed.  For USB 2.0 the transfer speed was ~25 mbyte / sec.  For
> fire wire (4 pin) it was only 17.5 mbyte / sec.  This with the Maxtor 200g
> 8mb cache.

HDD enclosures vary by brand, mostly due to the onboard hdd controller
on the enclosure, I'm curious as to which one you bought,   I'm
surprised to hear that you got such a huge gap in performance between
both connection.  Generally the speed of USB2 is 412mb/s (mega bits)
and FireWire is 400mb/s tho FireWire2 is 800mb/s.