[dba-SQLServer] Back to the login thing

Michael Maddison michael at ddisolutions.com.au
Wed Nov 17 22:29:50 CST 2004

I agree.

I don't have access to a p2p network but if it insists you are logging
on as Neo2\Guest I doubt you have many options.
It seems to me that as it can't validate the user (DHCP?) it defaults to
the guest account.

Maybe this will do it...
>From BOL
The guest user account allows a login without a user account to access a
database. A login assumes the identity of the guest user when both of
the following conditions are met:

The login has access to an instance of Microsoft(r) SQL Server(tm) but
does not have access to the database through his or her own user
account.

The database contains a guest user account.
Permissions can be applied to the guest user as if it were any other
user account. The guest user can be deleted and added to all databases
except master and tempdb, where it must always exist. By default, a
guest user account does not exist in newly created databases.

For example, to add a guest user account to a database named Accounts,
run the following code in SQL Query Analyzer:

USE Accounts
GO
EXECUTE sp_grantdbaccess guest

cheers

Michael M

As we've suggested multiple times, why are you using Windows Only
Authentication?

If this is just an internal system, then there's no need.  Just set up
some accounts using SQL Authentication on the other boxes and connect to
it using this username and password.  Presto. You're done.