[dba-SQLServer] File extensions

Michael Maddison michael at ddisolutions.com.au
Tue Sep 14 05:20:38 CDT 2004

Andy,

I'm pretty sure with sql you can give it any extension.  However the
defaults are mdf for the data and ldf for the log file.

As to taking the file\s home... well maybe, maybe not ;-)
You will need to hook up an interface of some kind to see what what with
SQL.  (You probably can do it from cmd line but I'm not sure)
You need Enterprise Manager(EM) or some other tool, there are free ones
out there but I don't have a link.
>From EM I would backup the db (may be more then 1 data file), take the
backup home, restore it with EM.
If the db is over 2gb you will need the full SQL server, if less then
MSDE should be OK.

hope that's enough to get you started?

cheers

Michael M

Sent this hours ago but hasn't appeared, hence trying again  -  so
apologies in advance when the original turns up.

Hello good people on this wet and windy Autumn evening in the UK

Simple question from a simple soul. I keep a weather eye on the SQL
server list but never having actually developed a SQL system my question
is: if I go to look at a client's existing system how can I tell if it
is SQL (which I think it is)? Would file suffixes tell me, or can a
developer call a database anything he/she likes? And if the file
suffixes are the answer what are the magic three letters? Going on from
there, if I was offered the opportunity to take the data away to have a
look at it can I just zip up a file or two, and if so what would I need
in order to be able to read the data in Access when I got back home?

-- Andy Lacey
http://www.minstersystems.co.uk