[dba-SQLServer] Registering SQL Servers

Michael Maddison michael at ddisolutions.com.au
Sun Sep 26 20:47:10 CDT 2004

<<This is stuff I never really needed to know, and I am NOT a notwork
administrator.>>

LOL...  Me either...
I'm not familiar with Workgroups for this type of stuff.
However what I'd do to get me going is change each install to allow
mixed mode.  Right click on the server in EM
and select properties --> security  --> SQL + Windows
You will need to do it locally, of course.

Now you should be able to register using sa.  The sa pwd doesn't have to
be the same for each server.

HTH

Michael M

Michael,

I suppose I should have specified.  This is my home office.  I only have
a workgroup.  I am trying to get SBS 2003 or even Windows 2003 set up
but the new computers I bought don't have drivers for 2003 yet so...
Workgroup only, no domain.

Building an identical SA for each machine and logging in as that user
allows the file sharing to work without having to supply any passwords
etc.  It appears to windows somehow that I am logged on to every machine
as the same user thus it doesn't ask me for a password at least to get
at mapped drives and shares.

SQL is set up to use windows authentication.  If I can use the maps and
shares, then am I not a trusted log in?  If I am then why is the process
of registering accepting the user as a valid user?  It is supposed to be
asking Windows if I am valid, and Windows is accepting me as valid at
least for the purposes of shares and maps.