[dba-SQLServer] Transferring a database to another SQL Server

JWColby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Wed Aug 30 10:21:37 CDT 2006

Martin,

In fact, ATM I am good to go.  I may indeed run into services that SQL
Server cannot perform due to the fact that it is running on a workstation OS
but I just feel that I am not up to the task of becoming a Server Admin
kinda guy just to get this stuff happening.  Last week I actually tried
installing SBS 2003 but promptly got bogged down in stuff I do not
understand and don't have (or at least have never had) any need to
understand.  I do not want to be a Notwork guy, that is a discipline all its
own and requires a lot of specialized knowledge to be good at.

I am a one man show here, I have two small kids and a wife (a life in other
words) and only have time to be good at a couple of things.  I would love to
get good at SQL Server but have just never had the opportunity.  When you
are a consultant you do what your clients are willing to pay you for, and to
this point I have specialized in and earned a good living at Access.  Yea
yea, you have to study the new areas you want to learn, but you still have
to have an opportunity to actually WORK in it to ever get really good at it.
Otherwise everything you learn will soon be forgotten.

With luck this client and this SQL Server database will provide me the means
(opportunity) to become good at SQL Server.  With more luck, the list
members will be patient, kind and generous and I will be able to leverage
this opportunity and add some valuable new skills.