[dba-SQLServer] Upsize wizard and named queries

MartyConnelly martyconnelly at shaw.ca
Wed Jan 25 21:07:16 CST 2006

One note on SQL Express being from Mary Chipman dated august 2004
This was on the beta newsgroup which has since been closed
maybe still available here microsoft.private.sqlserver2005.express
She is now working directly for Microsoft. She wrote several books on
Access.

"You will not be able to use any of the designers with SQLS 2005
databases, whether it's SQL Express or the Developer edition. IOW,
you won't be able to create databases, tables, views or any other
database objects from an ADP. The only support that is envisioned is
that you will be able to connect an Access front-end to a SQLS 2005
back end if it is running in SQLS 2000 compatibility mode, so your
forms, reports and other local Access objects should still run.
There is no service pack or quick fix being planned as far as I know
because of the amount of work it would entail. If you stop to think
about it, it's pretty hard to see how accomodating new Yukon
features like CLR assemblies and complex data types in the ADP
designers could be achieved without a complete rewrite.

That said, with Access 2003, I was able to connect up to an instance
of SQL 2005 (not in 2000 compatibility mode) and work with data with
SQL2000 compatible data types. I was also able to stick XML into an
XML-typed (but not strongly-typed) column and have it work as
expected.

The bottom line here seems to be that ADPs aren't worth investing
new work into today if you plan to go to SQL Server 2005 with them.
However, my limited testing of Access 2003 as the Frontend and SQL
Server 2005 as backend using linked tables seems to be okay. Time
will tell, of course."

http://www.databaseadvisors.com/gazette/sqlexpress.htm

you can access available NG from Web interface like
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/newsgroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.sqlserver.programming

or access the new MSDN Forums at
http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/default.aspx?forumgroupid=19&siteid=1

http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/express/readme/
a SQLExpress NNTP NG should be available soon as a forum as well, but...
but you can try postin here on in the existing SQL hierarchy..

Installing and Registering Visual Studio Express Editions
http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/showforum.aspx?forumid=24&siteid=1