[dba-SQLServer] another nudge on that DELETE, OUTER JOIN quirk

Arthur Fuller artful at rogers.com
Tue May 16 06:47:32 CDT 2006

I'm not sure about what is technically possible in this case, but if you meant your query explicitly then I'd say you hit a feature, not a problem. Otherwise you'd be orphaning Orders rows.

Susan Harkins <harkinsss at bellsouth.net> wrote: I tried yours -- the only difference seems to be that you specified the
non-nullable table. Using the following statement, I still got an error:

DELETE Customers.*
FROM Customers LEFT JOIN Orders
ON Customers.CustID = Orders.CustID

I'm using Express -- prehaps the two versions aren't compatiable on this
issue?

Susan H.

 Are you specifying which table to delete from

DELETE DISTINCTROW Original_Table.* FROM  Original_Table LEFT JOIN ...
or
DELETE  Original_Table.* FROM  Original_Table LEFT JOIN ...