[dba-SQLServer] What is going on

Robert L. Stewart rl_stewart at highstream.net
Wed Nov 1 20:36:53 CST 2006

John,

One of the "limitations" you are running into is the OS.

Yes, you can do development work in XP.  But, running a 68 million
record DB is not "development" by any stretch of the imagination.
You are trying to run a serious production database on a home OS.

I am not sure what setting the install was asking for that were so
different from XP.  I have installed 2000 and 2003 server a number
of times and other than questions about DNS server and such things,
which you do not care about because you should say "Stand alone
server," the install is the same as XP.

You could also spend the $100 or so it would take for a professional
to do the install for you.  Once you use a server OS, you will see
some of this go away.

One of the other questions I have not heard anyone ask, is what version
of SQL Server are you using?  If you are using anything less than
standard version, you are hitting another "limitation."  You are trying
to load a ton of crap into a trailer on a lawn tractor.

Robert