[dba-SQLServer] Any gut feelings?

JWColby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Fri Nov 3 17:18:17 CST 2006

Maybe that was back in the day when I couldn't see the servers from each
other.  I THINK I have solved that issue so maybe it will work for me now.

But... Does it actually transfer the whole shebang - field type, data,
indexes etc?  Or just a generic "here's your data, now you fix it back up"?
So far I have only successfully used DTS to export CSV files which of course
promptly loses all the good stuff.

Well, my problems aren't completely solved.  I can see the database on the
new SBS server from the other old server, but not VV.  Whatever.  I switch
to the old server and run the DTS wizard and the table does indeed transfer,
DAMNED quickly too!

PKs and indexes did NOT move however.  So I am now trying the "copy objects"
wizard which apparently allows you to copy the whole shebang.  It appears to
be working, though the speed is not so wonderful.  This is a smallish table,
~6 million records, ~15 fields, each having an index.

Should be interesting to see how long it takes.

But thanks for mentioning this, it will make my job easier if I can master
this.