[dba-SQLServer] Query Analyzer hogs machine

JWColby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Fri Nov 24 08:59:00 CST 2006

Here's a fascinating one.  In query Analyzer I built a simple query joining
two tables with a PKID on the PKID, pulling one of the PKIDs out.

It was taking awhile to run so I switched away to run a process over in
Access.  This Access process displays a progress meter and normally
processes about 100K records per second.

With the query running in Query Analyzer , Access was only processing about
10K records per second!  The CPU Utilization was almost nil!!!

When I aborted Query Analyzer, processor utilization shot up to 50% and my
Access process went to full speed.

Has anyone seen anything like this?  I must be hitting some kind of limit
somewhere but it isn't CPU Cycles.