[dba-SQLServer] Query Analyzer hogs machine

artful at rogers.com artful at rogers.com
Sun Nov 26 04:35:59 CST 2006

I most definitely agree with this:

"another reason it really should be run on its own server, WITH NO OTHER APPS COMPETING."

It's one thing to consume instruction-space on a development machine, but even then, boxes are so cheap now that one ought not run SQL (any version) on the same box that you deem your workstation. That is asinine. SQL was meant to occupy its own box, and be spoken to by other boxes. Yes, you can fake it by placing everything on one box, but that is to pervert its intended implantation. The rule is: SQL lives on one box; clients live on other boxes. Depending on your situation, that box might need to be firewalled so that nobody can get to it without the requisite credentials. In situations I have built, the SQL box was insulated from everyone save me and the CEO. Every other person in the firm could only get there by invoking the Access app that connected to it. No one else, no time, ever. And the only reason the CEO could get there was in case I got killed in a traffic accident, in which case he had specific instructions supplied by me long beforehand.

Call this anal-retentive (or any other derogatory appellation you prefer) if you wish, but as I see it, my job is to protect the firm's data first and foremost -- from outside intruders, from disgruntled employees, from kids with too much time on their hands. I spend a LOT of time making sure that nobody can get to the machine, let alone the database, without credentials. And I go further: even assuming that you have credentials, I slot you into a role which is precisely delimited so you can do a, b and c,  but not d, e or f.

Arthur