[dba-SQLServer] SSIS, SQL Server Integration Services, DTS

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 09:21:16 CST 2008

Gustav,

You can still run DTS pkgs in SQL 2005 but yes, DTS has been deprecated. MS
bought DTS from a third party way back when (1998) and rolled it into SQL
2000, but then rewrote it from the ground up for SQL 2005. There is still
DTSRun in 2005 and also a migration wizard to get you from A to B, but DTS
is, as they say, deprecated. (That's kind of like decapitated but more
graceful.)

For your immediate client's needs, you have a few alternatives. Stick with
DTS and do the imports there; create ODBC links and do a classic
Access-style import. For starters. More if required.

hth,
A.