[dba-SQLServer] Where do you put generic stored procedures

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 07:14:24 CDT 2008

Yes I'm in my new home and on day four of my new work environment. The
company found me "temporary" digs (three month lease) so I had a starting
point from which to investigate the alternatives. It's a one-bedroom flat
with marble floors and a yard with lots of plants and several walk-in
closets, and it's a five-minute walk from a stunningly gorgeous beach called
Coco Reef. There's a luxury resort hotel there, from which I'm renting the
flat, so yesterday I went there to have dinner on the deck. Brought my
notebook and sat facing the ocean and effortlessly hooked into their
wireless and wow, that's my notion of an office! I can definitely grow used
to this.

The 'company' database works too. There are tradeoffs in every approach. You
can call sprocs in db1 from db2 by specifically citing the full object name,
but then if you ship the db to a client then you'll have to ship two dbs not
one. Not that there's anything wrong with that, in fact it might have the
same advantage as it does in Access (e.g. libraries).

Arthur