[dba-SQLServer] Linking Tables(?)

Darryl Collins Darryl.Collins at coles.com.au
Thu Jun 26 01:59:58 CDT 2008

Hi everyone.

This is my first week into a new world (well new for me) of SQL Server 2000 and my first post here.  Quick background.  This list was recommended by the folks on AccessD (some names here I already recognise).  My background is primarily Excel, VBA and more recently MS Access.  I now have to learn SQL Server for work so fun days ahead going back to being the new kid in the class - I will apologise now for asking some pretty basic questions from time to time.

ok.. Here is the issue I have now.

I have Table1 which is made up of

Table1keyID (primary key)
Table2KeyID (FK)
Table3KeyID (FK)

Table2 data
1 Alpha
2 beta
3 delta

Table3 data
1 Blue
2 Red
3 Green

Table1 desired outcome

1 Alpha Blue
2 Alpha Green
3 Alpha Red
4 beta Blue
5 delta Red

anyway.. you get the idea.  In Access I could make the Table2 and 3 KeyID fields a drop down combo box, set the number of visible columns - that sort of thing.

Now in SQL i have created the relationship between Table1 and 2/3, but I am trying to add data into table 1 and I want it restricted only to data from Table2 and 3 respectively - I liked the combo drop down functionality in Access in the table itself.

What is the best (or correct) way to do this in a SQL table?

I hope that is clear.

Regards
Darryl.